Friday, September 18, 2009

Day 7

Whew!!! That was a doosie!

I am glad that this week is over. Let's see...oh, last night after I posted the entry, my husband and I were on our way to our dance class when I noticed that we were going to be about 30 minutes early. So I said to him, hey, let’s stop at the beauty supply place. I went in and I was looking around for a leave in conditioner, shea butter and some tea tree oil. My husband is so supportive. He was in there trying to hunt down products with me. It was really cute. He was looking at rollers, rods and all the rest. Well, when we were about done this woman comes in with her husband (he was white too) and she had a head full of natural hair (beautiful) and I looked at her and thought to myself - yep, I can do this.

Well, today, I only had to work until noon. After work I went to the gym and got my sweat on. Then I went back to the beauty supply (I am not addicted I just wasn't sure last night which rollers I wanted so I needed to do more research) and got the rods and the flex rods. When I got home the book I mentioned "The Truth About Black Hair" was waiting for me. I was super excited. I was like that is going to make for excellent reading while under the dryer. So I rushed inside showered, washed and deep conditioned my hair and proceeded to roll it up. Let me just say this was a TIME CONSUMING PROCESS! I guess I am just out of practice because I use to do this every week back in da day. My arms were on FIRE! It took me like 45 minutes and I don't have a lot of hair. I guess after a few weeks it will take less time.

So here I am under the dryer. I read the introduction to the book (again) and the first chapter. Now I am processing all of that information and decided to take a minute and do my entry for today. Let me just say that there are two things from the little that I have read that is poignant to me. The first is "People say that we should love ourselves and be proud of ourselves? Do they mean that we should love all of ourselves except our hair? Is hair somehow separate from the self that God gave us and not deserving of love?" Process that! I know I still am. The second one is a quote from Bob Marley "You running and you running and you running away...You running and you running and you running away...But you can't run away from yourself." Yeah, chew on dat!

Well, I am gonna get back to my book. I still have like 40 more minutes to sit under the dryer. I will let you know how my hair comes out and how I feel about the whole book.

No comments:

Post a Comment