Sunday, November 1, 2009

Day 51 - So I saw the movie and....

Okay, so I went and saw the movie/film "Good Hair" and let me just say that it was not INFORMATIVE AT ALL!!! I guess with all of the hype and press I was expecting something different. This movie, in my opinion, was pure entertainment (yes, I know that is what movies are for) and there was no substance. With a title like "Good Hair" I was at the BARE MINIMUM expecting the movie to talk about where the title came from and why it is such an issue in the black community or at least have Madam C.J. Walkers name mentioned. I guess once again momma was right, if you want to learn something you have to pick up a book and get from in front of the TV. Yes, I know that Chris Rock is a comedian and entertainer so I should not have had such high expectations. Also, the topic is too huge and too complicated for one movie to cover comprehensively. Personally, I just feel like other ethnic groups are going to come away with a worst perception of blacks than they already have.


Okay, here are the things that stuck out to me:
  • INSIGHTFUL - I thought that the comments by Rev. Sharpton were very insightful. He talked about economic retardation. How we spend all of this money on hair care but we are not putting the proceeds back into the hands of other blacks. We have been stupid enough to let the Koreans take over the market. He referred to hair in ways that I had never thought about. “Putting on your economic retardation and oppression each day, combing it each day….” It was truly something to think about. I wish I could remember word for word what he said, but I was meditating and digesting the words as he said them so....
  • SO SAD – What I found heart wrenching was all of the people in India who are giving their hair to the Gods and it is being sold. Do they know this? How dare we exploit the religious rituals of a group of people! SHAME SHAME SHAME on the weave wearers and the people who are actually selling the hair. Then there are those who steal the hair while the women are sleeping or watching a movie. And get this, it is okay because it is not a crime. WTF!!! Stealing is stealing right?!?!
  • POWERFUL – Then there was Tracie Thoms who said something very powerful. She said this "I decide to wear my hair the way it grows out of my head, and it’s considered revolutionary". That's what I'm sayin'!
  • DISTURBING – That the young girls are already so brainwashed that they believed natural hair was “unprofessional” and dissed their friend who was rockin’ a fierce fro. Then there were the 2 & 3 year olds who get relaxers I am not even going to comment because we all know how I feel about that.
  • EVEN MORE DISTURBING – The salon owner who had a policy of letting customers put the weave on lay away. SAY WHAT?!?! To me that is just plain predatory.
  • DISTURBING AND GROSS – The Hollywood hair stylist who said he recycled weaves of celebrities. How many heath code violations is that?
  • STUPIDITY - That whole Bronner Brothers show and all of the parts of the movie that went along with it. STUPID and not needed. Ugh!
  • HEART FELT - The story of Sheila Bridges who has alopecia —she was so beautiful with her bald head.


I’m one who believes all hair is good hair (as long as it is clean and you love it). I’ve worn my hair in so many different ways it should be illegal. Right now I am going back natural. Why? cause I want to. Health wise is it better for me at this point in my life. I am not one who is intolerant of someone else’s hair style choice. What you do is your business. In summary, when it comes to hair, you need to just do you. Whether that is straight, braided, weaved, relaxed, locks, twists, fro whatevah!!! It is what it is. Ya know.



Peace, Love & Fro's
~GNH~

No comments:

Post a Comment